Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Friday, March 27, 2009

Hunter Gatherer

I have figured out why I like to shop. Why most women do. It is a timeless, ancient yearning within us that we can't help. We are gatherers. Our ancient foremothers wandered fields and forests looking for mushrooms, fruits, nuts and kindling. It is within our very DNA to be able to spend an entire day on a quest for just the right loincloth. As the items we seek no longer grow on trees, we have wisely adapted to gather within the confines of department stores and garage sales.

I also use this rationale to explain to my husband why I bring items home from junk piles at the curb. I have "gathered" an entire patio furniture ensemble. I thank my ancient ancestors for inventing and popularizing the concept of eclecticism. I need a bumpersticker..."Born to Gather". This innate drive to gather goes hand in hand with our instinct to nurture. Hence the long shopping sprees that end with cute rompers and sundresses in a size 3T.

Men are hunters. They are hardwired for speed, to chase the fast thing in front of them and overtake it. This not only clarifies why they detest shopping so much, but also explains their behavior on the freeway.

No comments: