Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Boy Who Could Fly


What do five frogs and my son Adam have in common?

More than sixteen feet, that's what. 

17 feet and 5 inches to be precise. 

Wow. That's all there is to say. Just wow. 


Thoughts from the side lines: Part II

This week my usual exercise routine was interrupted by an unscheduled sick baby who was stuck in overtime. On Tuesday, my lack of sleep caused me to succumb to the temptation to stay the heck in bed until... well, never you mind that. That's between me and my Egyptian cotton sheets. 

Aaaaaaanyway, that afternoon my accountability partner for my latest attempt at losing weight, Danielle,  offered to come by after work to exercise with me. Of course, being that I like food more than pretty much anything that's not related to me, I need the extra calories I earn with my workout.  I agreed.  

I have never worked out with this friend before, and I don't know why exactly, but having her newness there compelled me to step it up a notch or five (because plank jacks aren't hard enough, I had to be all Rocky-Shwarzenegger about the whole thing). 

Three days later I am STILL feeling it. 

In Adam's race today he was pitted against his friend from church. They took off like mad hornets from the start, but Adam's friend pulled ahead after a bit. Adam fought to retake the lead but missed by a few yards. I noticed that after the race, both boys were totally fried. There is something a little magical in good-natured rivalry that compels us to push ourselves a little harder. Maybe it's just that by surrounding ourselves with good people we can't help but want to see the view from up where they are. And maybe we see them as mutually fragile and fallible beings, and become inspired as we see them make themselves into persons to be admired. Maybe we just don't want to be left behind. 

I am really starting to see how important it can be to have another someone there to push you along. Thanks to those who push me to become a better version of myself. Laine 2.0. 


No comments: