Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Heart


There is something so satisfying about wallpapering two rooms in just two hours.  Today, as the kids drew pictures and sewed little felt animals and drawstring marble bags, I worked on the dollhouse.  We all quietly busied our hands while General Conference, our church's semi-annual broadcast, filled the house with sacred music and spiritual counsel.  We heard gentle reminders of those things we should all be striving for, as we seek to live more Christ-like lives. 

While listening, I was reminded yet again of the role I can play, if I am willing, to bring peace into our home.  A scarce commodity in our house these days.  "Fathers are the head of the family", we were reminded, "but mothers are the heart of it".  As I heard those words, I had a feeling come over me of, "Ooooo, I would love to be the heart!  The heart is the best part!  The heart of a watermelon is the sweetest.  The heart of a human is what keeps us alive.  The heart is where the music plays, where love blooms and where joy resides.  Why have I spent so much time being the busy hands, the running feet, and the aching back, all the while ignoring my first and best role as the heart?!"

I think that lately I have been abandoning my post.

  Every part of my body was designed for what it can do for my children, to comfort, to nurse and to nurture.  Just like my little dollhouse, I can make small changes that make a big difference when you see them collectively. 
Today I will start by trying focus my eyes and tune my heart to see more of the right my children are doing
and less of the wrong. 

"Home is where the heart is" takes on a whole new meaning
when heart means mother.




No comments: