Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Friday, July 8, 2011

Seven Days of Summer


I just realized that the week of the Fourth is perhaps my favorite week of the year.  And each year it gets better and better.  This year was no disappointment.  We geared up by making new freezer-paper creations.  Adam made a cap and the girls made bandannas.  The morning of the 4th we got up early (for us) and went to the flag raising and pancake breakfast at the church where I sang The Star Spangled Banner.  The neighborhood dogs did not howl, so I guess it was fine.  We swam in the afternoon, then had friends Heummans, Jensens and Bushs for a BBQ.  I did a mighty-tidy job as grill master, and made the same cake as last year, making it... a new tradition!  This year as I strategically placed my blueberries, I imagined, years from now when I am dead and gone, one of my kids making this simple treat and thinking of mom, the way I do when I make something that my mother was known for.

Jonah loved the fireworks, and I just loved being with him.  I actually cried a couple of joyful tears as I snuggled him under showers of colored sparks that lit up his face with each explosion.  I am so blessed.  We polished off the night with our tradition of watching The Music Man, but everyone fell asleep but Ethan before the 76th Trombone blew it's last note.

The next day Kathy and I celebrated Joanna's birthday with a special lunch.  Food really is a great way to show our love, especially when it still fits into our diets!  I added a teaspoon of orange extract instead of vanilla to the whipping cream for our shortcake dessert, and it was to die for.  The rest of our week has been spent mostly at the pool next door, but there have been some other things brewing that will give me plenty to write about later.

But not now.  I have to pack.

I am taking Guy away for the weekend to Lake Tahoe.  It was his father's day gift.  I am so excited to get away with my Sweetie.  The baby will be our chaperone, but I am sure he will be sleeping some of the time!

So until we get back, enjoy a week in pictures!


















Happy Summer!

No comments: