Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Two You

Jonah 5 days old
Jonah Boy turned two today.
I have spent some quiet time remembering his birth, 
the days and months before, and the several difficult years before that.  

I am so blessed.

I still nuzzle my nose into his hair while he sleeps, 
though there is so much more than there was before, and whisper,
"I'm so glad that you are here."

This morning the phone rang and one of my dearest friends 
asked me to come help her at her birth.  It was a mournful choice to make:
do I stay home to celebrate Jonah's birthday
or do I go to help another mother with her birth-day?

I asked my kids.
I called my husband.
It was collectively decided that Jonah had no idea it was his birthday, 
or what that even means exactly, so it would be reasonable to postpone the cake
 (that still needs to be decorated) and presents
so that I could go and help her.

I cried a little on the way there, but I knew I had made the right choice.
Any other year I couldn't have done it.  By next year he will know what "birthday" means.
Any other child and I couldn't have done it... they would have been too disappointed.
And how better to show my gratitude at the blessing of having this precious boy in our family,
 than to go and help another mama to welcome her own cherished boy?

So I'm going to go nuzzle him right now,
and we'll have cake tomorrow.





1 comment:

Ruth said...

That precious little man has such a place in my heart! Happy Birthday Jonah Boy!!!! I am so grateful for you!