Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Monday, May 10, 2010

When does Mother's Day begin?


Mine began at about 1AM as Tessa gave her first of many gifts for the day… projectile vomiting. Oh, how I wish I had asked the girls to tidy their room before bed! Lucky for us, the bin of Strawberry Shortcake toys and a full laundry basket were sitting right there to receive the delivery. I took Tessa to the bathroom for a scrub down (“Why do I haff to fwoh up? I don’t wike dis! I will fwoh up forevoh!”) while Guy was relegated to peeling wet bedding off of the bed and picking up colored pencils that were now several shades more colorful.

At first she tossed cookies every 15 minutes, but soon we were down to every hour till dawn. Good times.

I slept in and woke as hubby dragged out of bed, refusing my invitations to snuggle, saying he had things to do. Soon the kitchen was alive and the smell of bacon wafted through the air. I was informed by four little jail keepers that I was to stay in bed. Soon, a gorgeous omelet was delivered by a tired-eyed sweetheart. A cheese, chicken, tomatoes, roasted peppers, avocado, salsa, sour cream and cilantro omelet.

It was more delicious than it sounds.

I was showered with gifts; hand made ladybug tiles and flowers to plant, clay to share with the kids, maternity clothes to wrap around this growing pod, and a sweet journal inscribed:

Faith goes up the stairs that love has made and looks out of the windows which hope has opened.” –Charles H. Spurgeon

I cried a little.

I readied the family for church so that I could go and listen to the kids sing for Mother’s Day. Tessa stayed on my lap at church and slept (Yes, I brought her, but not to worry; I was packing heat- a barf bag in close range). The opening song in the meeting was “Love at Home”, a classic in the house I grew up in. Mom humorously sang it to us when ever we fought. I swelled with teary emotion hearing mom’s voice in my head, taking a moment to acknowledge her, and feeling a little motherless all at once.

The children stood to sing “I Often Go Walking” and “Mother, I love you.” True to his promise, Adam sang and actually moved his lips, but more tears came as I realized that Ethan, now “too old” to join the little kids in song, sat nearby. I held sleeping Tessa on my shrinking lap and felt how much everything is changing. Soon she will have to share my lap and eventually, like a little bird in a nest that is too small, will find she has out grown the space. I sat surrounded by my gorgeous kids, my husband’s arm around my shoulder, my healthy baby kicking in my belly, and felt so blessed and grateful.

At home, the kitchen grew busy again and in no time Guy had created an amazing meal.

Roasted pork with a chocolate (yes, chocolate!) cranberry and lingonberry glaze that was out of this world, potatoes, seasoned asparagus that even some of the kids enjoyed, and a lovely loaf of bakery bread.

We sat at a lovely table and laughed and chatted for over an hour.

Guy slipped out for a moment and returned with one more surprise. After reading his handmade card through tears, I was stopped in my tracks as I opened the gift bag he placed in front of me. Inside were two little angels, perfect matches to the two that rest under the baby tree in the yard where our babies are buried. I had been searching for two more since losing the last two babies, but had never found them. Guy’s eyes reflected my tears.

What a precious Mother’s Day this had been.

Like so many times before, we stood side by side at the end of the day washing dishes. The kids buzzed around us making their lunches for the next day, and I was so aware of my immense blessings. I have indeed, experienced loss, but look at all that I have! I am the mother of nine spirits. I am the wife to an honorable and honest man who knows my heart so well. I carry life in my belly. I am even blessed to tend my sick little ones in the wee morning hours. After all, that is motherhood.

They say that if you live in a house and own a car you are among the top 8% wealthiest people in the world.

I think with all that I have been blessed with, I am in the top 1%.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

What a lovely post Laine. Your boys are looking so much older lately and hansome! I think Ellie looks exactly like you. Tessa's a doll. I read your last post about her to John and he even laughed out loud, which is rather unusual. Happy Days! ;)

rebekahmott said...

Lovely just lovely!! I am glad that it ended well!