Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Monday, November 1, 2010

An All Hallows Eve Photo Album

Because this Halloween landed on Sunday, our family chose to keep the Sabbath day holy and do our celebrating on Saturday at a church party. 
Ethan was like a ghost, (though he decided he was too old to dress up ...are you ever too old?), he managed to avoid being photographed (or did he just not have an image on film?)
Adam's eerie martian won him the prize for most original costume.  Beware the third eye, he says it is all seeing and never sleeps.
Our little witch fell asleep after she got part of her costume on, and when she woke up crabby, well, let's just say she was simply wicked.  She refused to wear her cute orange and black striped stockings, to carry her broom, or even to wear shoes.  She cheered up once she got going though.  I think the sugar helped. 

The bat only allowed herself to be photographed  once.  Thank goodness Alice doesn't mind hanging out with weirdos.


Tonight we turned down the lights and watched one of my favorite movies, "To Kill a Mockingbird".  I was transported back to my childhood.  The haunting music, the mysterious Boo Radley, the rustling leaves tumbling down the street...

I think the reason I love Hallloween so much now is because I loved it so much when I was little.  I remember eating stew as the sun began to set, putting on my costume, fussing with my mom about not wanting to spoil my costume with a jacket, and then walking the neighborhood trick-or-treating with my brothers and sisters until my legs ached.

 This year was different in a lot of ways.  Besides not going out Trick-or-Treating, I didn't make costumes for the kids like I usually do.  It was sort of a hodge podge as we dug through the costume trunk at the last minute throwing parts of old costumes together.  I didn't decorate early as I had planned, and I wasn't feeling too festive after all that has happened with Ruth.  The time I would have spent baking and sewing this year has been spent holding Jonah, but there will be other Octobers

No comments: