Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Monday, May 16, 2011

Crawling


Jonah crawled today.  He suddenly just did it, and when we saw we all cheered and whooped and hollered.  It was tentative; just little creeping movements forward to get to his goal, but it looked like he somehow knew what he was supposed to do.

***
Guy was asked to serve as the second counselor to our congregation's bishop at church.  In a church where all of the work is done on a volunteer basis, it is a blessing and a sacrifice to take on a task like this one.  He will be asked to help with many things that will take him away from home.  He will be helping other families, spending evenings doing visits and going to meetings.  As he stood today to walk to the front of the chapel and take his place next to our good and kind bishop, I felt a little pang knowing he would not be sitting next to me and holding my hand on Sundays anymore, for a while anyway.  Some weeks are a little less than a cake-walk with five kids on one church pew, even for two of us.

I know Guy is up to the task.  Already, though he started out with great hesitation, his movements by the end of the day seemed more sure.  He is nervous, because he wants to do what is right but he knows he will sometimes make mistakes.  I feel a little nervous, too.  I know Guy will be fine, but I feel a little unsure.  I am kind of a goof ball, with a slightly off sense of humor and one too many opinions.  I am bound to stick my foot in my mouth and wiggle my toes around in there from time to time.  It didn't seem to matter as much before as it does now.

I guess we will figure it out as we go along.  I will get used to flying without my wing-man.  Guy and I will each gain confidence as we move ahead.

Jonah's timid and jittery crawl will be strong and sure in no time, and so will ours.

No comments: