Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Someone to Watch Over Him

Jonah has a shadow.  A four foot, 10 inch shadow.  Pretty much since Jonah-boy started stomping around on those ham-hocks of his, Addy has been close at his heals.  He is actually a lot like a mama with that whole crazy radar that makes their ears prickle as soon as baby gets near a flight of stairs.  Jonah finds something delightfully chokable, and Adam is there making him spit it out.  Jonah wanders more than ten feet in any direction in a public setting, there is Adam, shepherding him back to safety.  He can hear Jonah cry even before I do after nap time.  It's a gift.  And a curse. 

Poor Adam has gotten so concerned about Jonah's safety that he is a little paralyzed by it. 
"Are you watching Jonah, Mom?" he asks. 

"Uh, yeah, it's kinda my job." I say

"I'm just worried..." he says.  Worried that Jonah will fall and get really hurt. 
Worried that he will choke, bonk, scrape... 

It's sweet and a little worrisome in and of itself.  I don't like seeing Adam so fretful.  But I am grateful that Jonah has someone to watch over him the way Adam does.  I am sure it will take on many forms as the years go by.  I picture Adam teaching Jonah how to kick a soccer ball, rescuing him from a tree, and telling him knock-knock jokes.  Oh, I can't wait!  There is nothing better than the knock-knock jokes of a three year old. 

Yup, Adam is my wing man.
It sure makes my job easier, because let me tell you, it is such a chore looking after this yummy, chubby, squishy-soft, hugs-you-back-baby.  I am completely put out by it.  Really.  It is just entirely too exhausting gobbling on him day in and day out.  My pucker is all sore from kissing him under his double chin, my cheeks are fatigued from smiling all the time, and then there is all the peek-a-boo and tickling.  It's just too much.

Honestly, I'm suffering.



1 comment: