Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 15th

Leg, picnic and milk.
 
It's June 15th.
 
For months I have been saying, "I will just be glad when we make it to June 15th."
because that will have meant that this was all behind us.
The clot
the birth
the procedures...
 
And today was that day.
 
Guy fixed us a lovely little picnic dinner.
He knew nothing about my June 15th thing,
 he was just being Guy.
 
We left the kids with the big boys
 (which means the girls watched non-stop My Little Pony
while the boys played X-Box).
 
We went to a nearby park.
We watched the sunset
and the ducks
and the people.
We ate yummy curry chicken salad with pecans and dried cranberries.
I gave Guy an early Father's Day gift; camp chairs. 
 Normal ol' camp chairs.
 
Dinner was mostly quiet. 
 I propped my leg on the baby's car seat
and we enjoyed the new chairs.
 
We went to the grocery store for a few things. 
I had used up all my umph at the park,
and so Guy pushed me through the store in the wheelchair with one hand,
 the other pushing the grocery cart.
 
Much as he has taken care of everything in our lives for months.
 
 We sat in the driveway after we got home
and talked until the ice cream was melted.
We talked about the last few months, and being past them to where we are now.  We talked about how it doesn't really feel like anything is "over", and how tired we are.  About how it doesn't feel like we will ever care about anything mundane and normal again, like making cupcakes for a party, or doing dishes, or, well,
 anything. 
 
We talked about how our family needed time for healing, and how and where our time would be best spent this summer.  We need to remember what normal feels like, to help the kids regain a sense of security, and to get the balance back in our marriage. 
 
It's June 15th.  We're here.
(Where  the heck is here?)
 
Love on a plate.
 
Watching the sunset with papa.
Dessert...yum.  Nibble nibble.

No comments: