Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's (not) all about me


Guy and little Ellie, 2005

Today our midwife, Claudette, came for our prenatal. Because of a time mix up, Guy was almost not able to make it, but he managed the 40 minute drive home to be with me at the home visit, then jumped in the car to go all the way back to work (his third trip of the day) for a one o’clock meeting. On his way back, he called to tell me something. When signing off, I said, “Thanks for coming all the way home for the appointment.” His support has always meant so much to me.

“I wanted to be there.” He replied.

It washed over me that he is more than a supportive husband and father. This is his life. It isn’t just happening to me (selfish female way of thinking, I know, but that’s where I have been way too often). His family. His wife. His baby on the way.

Guy is the type of man who gets irked when he hears other men say they are “babysitting” their kids. “It’s not babysitting. It’s called parenting!” he says.

I get to have another child with this cool guy. Lucky me.

(there I go making it about me again!)

.

P.S. Baby was great, measuring 18 weeks at only 16 weeks gestation and with a gogeous, spectacular heartbeat. The kid has talent already.

P.S. I have been tickled to see on my map a few folks who check into my blog everyday (and you aren't even related to me!). So I think I will say hello to one each day.

Hello Osseo, MN! Thank you for reading! Come say hi!

10 comments:

julean said...

Guy really is great. I'm glad he's yours and you are his.

I still remember the first time I met Guy. You brought him over to my apartment right after I had my wisdom teeth out. He was nice. I was mortified but too groggy to hide.

I've always thought that you two are a good match!

Bald n Beautiful said...

Hey, that's me in Minnesota. Jackie's sister Annie. I love your writing and the way it makes me think. It even inspired me to start recording some of my past babies memories. Thanks for sharing.

Laine said...

Hi Annie! I am so glad you like the blog (though since Jackie and I are kindred spirits that makes you a kindred cousin, so we are related aftr all!) Thanks for saying hi!

Jackie said...

Hey! I'd better get in on this discussion! Thanks for saying hi to Annie! We love to discuss your posts when we talk (every day :)) You help us think and enjoy our lives more by thinking about yours. You are so terrific at expressing your thoughts and sharing your wonderful, artistic, self with us! Muaaa! You would enjoy Annie's post she wrote today. You can get to her blog through mine. Annie and Scott! Thanks for inspiring us!

Amel said...

Wishing you a smooth pregnancy until labor!!!!! :-)))

Bethany said...

My husband made it a point to never miss an appointment for either of my pregnancies. I think I must be spoiled because it never occurs to me that a man wouldn't want to be there for this big moments. Sounds like you have a keeper for sure.

Stopping by from SITS.

rebekahmott said...

I am glad that things are looking strong. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Guy is the man and it takes us to steep back and see that sometimes!!

Darcy said...

Best Wishes to you and your family!

justanightowl.com

joeandbridge said...

Hi There! Just popping in from Friday Follow to be your newest follower. Hope you can visit me too! Have a great weekend!

Bridgette Groschen
The Groschen Goblins
http://www.groschengoblins.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

Laine, I am constantly blessed by Guy's tender heart and care for you and your children. God has blessed you indeed.