Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lap talk

"My tummy has a bad feevoh

and now it’s making my voice change."

- From Tessa's Book of Excuses



Last night I was a little worried as Tessa headed off to bed, when she sang out, "Good night babyyyyyyyyyy....guhwl!"
.
When Guy and I prayed together before bed, I found myself really talking to God about each of the kids. When I reached little Tess, I choked up. I am wondering how she will do as she is moved into the big sister role. In our house it hasn't traditionally gone smashingly. When Adam was 3 weeks old, Ethan picked him up and hung him by his tiny feet when, while changing him, I turned around to pick up a clean diaper. When Ellie was born, Adam, my best little buddy, rejected me outright for months. When Tessa was born, Ellie went berserk and never came back all the way.
.
I don't want to let Tessa go. I poured my heart out in prayer, and could barely form the words, "... and please help her as she adjusts to... not being... the baby anymore." Then the tears came.
.
This morning she wandered out with that yummy sleepy-face that all mamas love on their little ones, and scrambled up onto the armchair with me. She smiled up at me as she curved herself around my belly with a long "mmmmmmm."
.
"Tessa, are you going to be sad when the baby is born if it's not a girl?" I asked with not-well-hidden concern.
.
"No!" she said with a massive smile, "cuz when it is bohrn, den I will get yohwah lap back so I can sit!"
.
"Well, you realize I will also be holding the baby, too..." I said with some hesitation. She has no idea what is coming.
.
"Oh! We will shayah!"
.
Absolutely no idea.

No comments: